Sunday, November 29, 2015

Making a Deal with My Father






Growing up with Cerebral Palsy was not the easiest thing to do especially during the early school years.  In the former years, I was told to write with my right hand to help me learn the fine motor co-ordination. This was a very daunting task to say the least because I have no eye hand coordination with the right hand. I would start out writing with my right hand but invariably I fell behind in taking notes, tests, and quizzes. I was very embarrassed when the teacher called me down during a quiz or test. I could hear my classmates snickering at me.  At times it brought me to tears.

  I do have gross motor control in right hand my arm and hand. I am able to hold big items, I used the right hand for opening and closing those heavy school doors and carrying my school books. I figured it would help strengthen my arm and hand.  This allowed me to use my left hand when I needed more fine motor control. If I was lucky enough, I wouldn’t get caught writing with my left hand. That was a rarity. Most of the time I did get caught and reprimanded. 

When I reached the fourth grade, I knew I was in trouble. We had to learn to take notes. The notes were already written on the board but my right hand couldn’t keep up with the other students.  I was upset with myself.  That afternoon after school, I sat at my desk in my room, trying to figure out a way to appease everyone. Finally, after an hour I came up with a perfect solution.

My father, had come home early that afternoon. I hesitated at first until I figured out what I was going to say to him. When I finally got up the nerve to confront Papa, I went to his office and asked to speak with him concerning “writing with my right hand.”

I said, “I really understand why I should be writing with my right hand. But I find it difficult to keep up. I will make a deal with you. If you let me write with my left hand during school, I will do all my homework with my right hand. I can take my time writing and to perfecting my handwriting.”


After presenting my case to him, there was complete silence from both of us.  I sat nervously waiting his response.  Finally, Papa responded.  It was slow and deliberate.  “I see you have thought this challenge out and figured out how to placate everyone concerned.  “I will honor you request.”  I just looked at Papa with awe and was surprised by his concession.  you have really demonstrated to me that you can think out of the box and find a solution that would pacify the school teacher and your own parents.

4 comments:

  1. What a coming of age moment for you, Marienne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. -Always felt that Papa while he seemed to be sotough on all of us...especially you, but ..was always thinking and looking for the best outcome for his kids..you in particular...and could be very inventive & practical in his methods if achieving that goal..
    -I remember when you were very young..he insisted that your doctor place a cast on your good L arm to encourage you to use your R arm/hand..The doctor at 1st refused saying it was "a ridiculous idea"! , and only relented when Papa announced he would try to cast your good arm himself, probably incorrectly. After 3-4 weeks being casted....even the doctor had to admit that your so-called bad arm was working better...agreed to periodic immobilization of your good L arm to allow more R arm training..Interesting that that method is being used today for early stroke rehab and CP... Papa was a genius! Necessity is truly the mother (in this case, the father) .. of invention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one brought me to tears, Marienne! I thank you for sharing these snippets of your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Susan, I glad that you liked this particular milestone for me. as you know Papa was very demanding and tried to instill some normalcy to my life. Sometimes it was harder to not react to cruel comments.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!