Sunday, November 29, 2015

Just Had to Get Some Notebook Paper



It  was a beautiful spring day.  We had a spring shower that afternoon. I was in the fifth grade. I had a corrective cast put on my right leg to stretch the Achilles Tendon.  It was normally two inches shorter than my left leg. I had a gross limp that was not easily hidden. wearing a cast for about two months out of the year was not easy. I endured lots of taunting from my peers. I plodded along trying not to show how hurt I was.

Since it rained, I had to be careful not to step in puddles as not to get the bottom of my cast wet. It was made of plaster and not like the new fangled waterproof ones they have now.  I wanted to get my home-work done early so, I could a free weekend.  One of my brothers had some notebook paper and I could find his stash.

Mama was cooking dinner and couldn’t be disturbed. I asked her to take me to the store for some paper. She said “No, get some from Joe.” I told her that Joe hid his stash and I would like to finish my homework. Still, Mama said, “No!!!”

I wanted to walk to the store but I knew if did that it would ruin the bottom of the cast. How could I get up to the store and back as quickly I can. Then It hit me ride your bike. Sneaking out of the house wasn’t easy. I slowly and carefully walked down the wooded steps into the basement, pushed my bike to the top of the driveway and off to the store I went. 

When I arrived at the store I bought the paper and hopped back on the bike and came home.  No sooner had I arrived I heard my name called by Mama. Mama was angry that I disobey her and anxious because my third grade teacher saw me riding my bike. She called my mother and told her that I was riding my bike with a cast on.  My mother had a perfect response, “Did she fell?” (Mama had trouble with some words in the English language).  My third grade teacher responded, “No. she didn’t.” Then my mother replied, “She is ok and has been cleared by the doctor to ride her bike with a cast on her leg.”     



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!