Sunday, November 29, 2015

Learning to Ride my Bike

I learned to ride a bike in the second grade. It sure was a daunting task for me to fulfill.  I was the only child in our family that had training wheels on the bike.  I had lots of balance issues due to my Cerebral Palsy. As I walked I would trip over my right foot quite frequently. 
  
 My father elevated the training wheels so I would have to learn to balance on the tires of the bike instead of relying on the training wheels. I always felt I was going to fall.  After several weeks of trying, my father took off the trainers and told me, “When I get home from work I want you to be riding that bike and there is no excuse would be accepted.  I tried valiantly to ride on the tires then relying on the trainers.


Many times in my life I have been told,  by teachers and or my own pears …..“You can’t do that.” It infuriated me at times in my life but, this time I fed into the fear of falling.  I figured that if I justified my statement to Papa that I might hurt myself.  I felt confident that he would believe me that I couldn’t learn to ride that bike.

Papa came home from work that evening. Soon after he arrived he asked me if I learned to ride the bike. I stated, “No, I didn’t because of my right foot….It won’t stay of the peddle. It slips off all the time.”  My father stated in no uncertain terms, “Do not use your handicap as a way out!! You will learn to that bike right now." 

Papa completely removed the training wheels and off we went.  After a several issues with balancing I  finally got the hang of it.  I had the most accelerating feeling. It was better than walking. I had more freedom and I was able to ride like my own peers.

 I realized at an early age that this exercise was immensely therapeutic. It helped stretched the Achilles tendon. It also made me feel like I could fly.

6 comments:

  1. What we are capable of is usually far more than we believe. Having a parent who pushes you is invaluable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever disadvantages we have in life, we are always encourage to better ourselves. Giving yourself goals to attain will give you a sense of normalcy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always felt that Papa while he seemed to be so tough...was always thinking and looking for the best outcome for his kids..you in particular...and could be very inventive & practical in his methods if achieving that goal.. I remember when you were young..he insisted that your doctor place a cast on your good L arm to encourage you to use your R arm/hand..The doctor at 1st refused saying it was a ridiculous idea, and only relented when Papa announced he would try to cast your good arm himself, probably incorrectly. After 3-4 weeks being casted....even the doctor had to admit that your so-called bad arm was working better...agreed to periodic immobilization of your good L arm to allow more R arm training..Interesting that that method is being used today for early stroke rehab and CP... Papa was a genius! Necessity is truly the mother.. In this case, the father... of invention

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember wearing that cast. It was so frustrating to make the righthand do tasks that was so difficult to do. Just try to wash your hair when the fingers don't move? it's not so easy. Some tasks where easier to conquer.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for reading these excerpts of my life. It was note easy to hide nor was it easy to live with. I understood the my problems and put a valiant effort in all the tasks that were put before me. Some had to corrected by surgery. Others were corrected by therapy. Lots of work was put into practice to show I could do most anything I set my mind to do.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!