Sunday, December 13, 2015

Finding My Parachute Color


As a child I learned to understand the limits I had to live with and accept many disappointments that have come my way.  The most difficult decision I had to make was “what kind of career I would choose for myself.”  Would I be a clerk, sales person, or would I get a professional career?  I Thought long and hard, "What did I want to do with my life.  Since I grew up with a handicap, I figured I would best serve society by becoming a nurse.
I was accepted in a community college in the Richmond area. I learned a lot about non-acceptance for those people who where slight different. Yes, I had a handi-cap but, I continued to keep up with the physical demands of the profession. I knew I would not become an operating nurse. I needed to figure out what I could do for the patients I worked with. But the community college did not work with me as I requested. The instructors did not want me in the program. I was very disheartened when I finished the quarter. They politely told me…. “Do not attempt to return. We won’t accept you back.”
I walked out very upset. I wanted to be a nurse because I knew the problems patients have ... better than most people. I could see the potential in a person with a infirmity and figure out how to accommodate for his/her fine motor coordination. I could show someone how to button a button on a shirt or a blouse with one hand.  I had a lot of patience with the elderly.
Years later, after Robbie and I married, I still wanted to do something with my life. One day a flyer came in the mail from the community college in Danville had a LPN nursing program. This was a twelve month program. I really wanted this.  I got all my transcripts sent to DCC and did the entrance interview. Afterwards the nursing staff said to me, “We see you can do the work. . . . . now, prove it to us.”  It was like deja-vu. My parents always challenged me and I never back down. They had given me the chance to truly prove that I how capable I was.  I floated out of the interview looking forward to start anew in this LPN program.

I had another obstacle to cross. I had to ask for financial help from my parents. I went to Richmond for the weekend so I could talk with Papa, face to face.  They had no idea I had applied and was accepted into the LPN program.  I was very anxious confronting Papa.  Later that evening he announced he was going to the store. I asked him if I could come along.
 As we rode to the store, I summoned up the courage to face the music. I said, “Papa, you know I always wanted to become a working member in society. I have applied to the LPN program at Danville Community College. I have submitted all my transcripts and had my entrance interview. I would like to borrow some money to finance this endeavor. Then, there was dead silence. Papa just kept driving, and I thought I just asked for the stars and figured Papa would say, “NO!”
To my surprise, Papa replied, “If you finish this program, you will receive a car just like the rest of your brothers and sisters did after they graduated. I had such an astonished look on my face that Papa said “’Yes, it is true, I will honor my pledge but, you will have to prove to me that you can accomplish this task and graduate.”
When we arrived home, I was so excited, I ran to the kitchen to tell Mama the good news about me going back to school. Mama was pleased and agreed with Papa  I would make and excellent nurse.

The first meeting of our class contained fifty-two candidates.  One of the nurses addressed us all. She said, “ Look to your left, and look to your right, more than one half of this class will not proceed into the second quarter of this twelve month program.”  I looked at both sides and hoped I was not the one who would be dropped from the program.
A year had passed and at the end the summer, I became one of the nineteen that graduated from Danville Community College School of Nursing. My parents and various family members also came for the pinning ceremony. I was so please to see my parents beaming back at me when I receive my nursing pin.
Later on I found out how proud he was. Papa never showed his feelings too often. He was strong for us but very silent. One day I asked Mama, “I have a feeling Papa was not proud that I became a nurse?” Mama replied, “He is actually more proud of you graduating from nursing school then Judy graduating from medical school. He just doesn't show it.”
I found my niche working with the elderly doing home care. All my clients loved my sunny disposition. I always tried to keep them happy or raise their spirits when they were low. It was a special calling and also rewarding. I worked with the elderly for nine years.
Later, I became a school Nurse at a military academy in Front Royal,VA, after my husband accepted a position as a teacher. Later that semester, I was interviewed by the head of the school and hired that day. I remained at that position for eleven years and have enjoyed my nursing practice immensely.

I found my color.  It’s  yellow!!!!! It shows my disposition in life.  Just like the sun, bright and cheerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!